This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Actions of all hormones are predominantly mediated by specific receptors. Progress in understanding the basic mechanisms of hormone-receptor interactions has led to several clinical applications of this receptor technology. Current applications include diagnosis and management of neoplasms of hormone-responsive tissues in the woman, diagnosis of previously inexplicable endocrine disorders, and development of new hormonal therapeutic agents. Our future diagnostic and therapeutic repertoire should continue to expand as these new molecular biology techniques mature.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- General considerations of hormones.in: Hormones. Academic Press, New York1987: 1-48
- Year Book Medical Publishers Inc., Chicago1987: 3-16 Overview of hormonal mechanisms, metabolic and endocrine physiology.
- Peptide growth factors are multifunctional.Nature. 1988; 332: 217
- Cell membrane receptors.in: Sciarra JJ Gynecology and Obstetrics. vol 5. Lippincott, Philadelphia1988: 1-12
- Year Book Medical Publishers Inc., Chicago1987: 29-42 Intracellular messenger systems involved in peptide hormone action: Cyclic AMP, calcium and phosphatidyl inositol metabolites, metabolic and endocrine physiology.
- Actions of ovarian steroid hormones.in: Knobil E Neill JD The Physiology of Reproduction. Raven Press, New York1988: 675
- Steroid receptor regulated transcription of specific genes and gene networks.Ann Rev Genet. 1985; 19: 209
- Models for steroid-receptor interactions derived from x-ray crystallograph investigations.in: Sluyser M Interaction of Steroid Hormone Receptors with DNA. Ellis Horwood Ltd, England1985: 83
- Basis for hormonal therapy in breast and gynecological neoplasms.Postgrad Obstet Gynecol. 1984; 4: 1
- Estrogen receptor analyses: Correlation of biochemical and immunohistochemical methods using monoclonal antireceptor antibodies.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1985; 109: 716
- Moudgil VK Progestin treatment, progesterone receptors and breast cancer, molecular mechanisms of steroid hormones. Walter de Gruyter, New York1985: 659-700
- Chrousos GP Loriaux DL Lipsett MB Estrogen and antiestrogen resistance in human breast cancer cell lines, steroid hormone resistance. Plenum, New York1986: 329-345
- Analysis of estrogen receptor in ovarian carcinoma using biochemical and monoclonal antibody assays.Obstet Gynecol. 1988; (in press)
- Are cytosol estrogen and progestin receptors of prognostic significance in the management of epithelial ovarian cancers?.Obstet Gynecol. 1986; 68: 751
- Blecher M Bar RS Introduction to receptors, receptors and human disease. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore1981: 2-23
- Davies TF The receptor antibody diseases, autoimmune endocrine disease. John Wiley and Sons, New York1983: 101-125
- Inhibition of follicle-stimulating hormone receptor binding by circulating immunoglobulins.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1982; 54: 1221
- Davies TF Immunology of infertility, autoimmune endocrine disease. John Wiley and Sons, New York1983: 207-223
- Roy AK Clark JH Antibodies to estrogen, progesterone, glucocorticoid, Vitamin D receptors and autoantibodies to androgen receptor, gene regulation by steroid hormones III. Springer-Verlag, New York1987: 137-154
- Chrouses GP Loriaux DL Lipsett MD Androgen receptors in normal and abnormal male sexual differentiation, steroid hormone resistance. Plenum, New York1986: 227-254
- Pseudocorpus luteum insufficiency: A local defect of progesterone action on endometrial stroma.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1979; 48: 127
- The endometrium.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 1974; 1: 369
- Endocrine treatment of endometrial malignancy 1983–1984.in: Krieger DT Bardin CW Current Therapy in Endocrinology 1983—1984. BC Dekker, Inc, Philadelphia1983: 341
- Identification of biologically active and inactive steroid receptors.Clin Biochem. 1980; 5: 198
- Approaches to drug development using receptors.in: Gotto Jr, AM O’Malley BW The Role of Receptors in Biology and Medicine. Raven Press, New York1986: 63-77
- Mechanism of interaction of digitalis with estradiol binding sites in rat uteri.Endocrinology. 1976; 99: 1091
- Marijuana Interaction with the estrogen receptor.J Pharm Exp Ther. 1983; 224: 404
- Affinity of phytoestrogens for estradiol binding proteins and effect of coumestrol on growth of 7,12-dimethylbenz [a] anthracene-induced rat mammary tumors.J Natl Cane Inst. 1980; 64: 285
- The role of the estrogen receptor in diethylstilbestrol toxicity.Arch Toxicol. 1985; 8: 33
© 1988 Springer-Verlag New York Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.