This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The management of gynecological disorders in 87 children and young adolescents admitted to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH), Benin City, Nigeria, is described. Vulvar synechia (labial fusion), clitorial cysts, urethral prolapse, traumatic lower genital tract injuries, and neoplasms formed the majority of the disorders. The management of these patients, including the difficulties encountered with their treatment, is discussed. These young females may develop the same gynecological disorders as older women, but require special treatment. The treatment of these patients in this part of the world would greatly improve if practitioners would suspect gynecological disorders more often and if gynecologists, pediatricians, and surgeons with special interest in this discipline would jointly manage detected cases.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diseases of the genitalia in girls from birth to menarche.Nig Med J. 1975; 5: 131
- Gynecological neoplasms in childhood in Nigeria.Trop J Obstet Gynecol. 1984; 4: 1
- Events of puberty in Nigerian girls.Pediatr Adol Gynecol. 1985; 3: 205
- Induced illegal abortion in Benin City, Nigeria.Int J Gynecol Obstet. 1976; 14: 517
- Adolescent-induced abortion in Benin City, Nigeria.Int J Gynecol Obstet. 1981; 19: 495
- Pregnancy among school girls in Nigeria.Int J Gynecol Obstet. 1982; 20: 409
- Combined uterine perforation and extensive vesico-vaginal fistula complicating induced abortion in a 13-year-old girl.Pediatr Adol Gynecol. 1984; 2: 75
- Abortion-related morbidity and mortality in Benin City, Nigeria, 1973–1985.Int J Gynecol Obstet. 1988; 26: 435
- Circumcision: Its nature and practice among some ethnic groups in southern Nigeria.Soc Sci Med. 1985; 5: 581
- Some aspects of female circumcision.J Obstet Gynecol. Br Cwlth. 1963; 70: 505
- Acquired gynatresia.in: Obstetrics and Gynecology in the Tropics and Developing Countries. Edward Arnold, London1967: 543-554
- Female circumcision and infibulation in the Sudan.J Obstet Gynecol Brit Cwlth. 1966; 73: 302
- The challenges of vaginal atresia and stenosis. Nigerian experience.Int J Gynecol Obstet. 1984; 22: 1
- Vulvovaginitis and other lesions of the vulva.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 1974; 1: 553
- Gynecological disorders in childhood and adolescence.in: Whitfield CR Textbook of Obstetrics and Gynecology for Postgraduates. 4th ed. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, London, Edinburgh1986: 40-54
- Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology.in: Current Obstetric and Gynecologic Diagnosis and Treatment. 2nd ed. Lange Medical Publishers, Los Altos, California1978: 392-410
- Medical treatment of urethral prolapse in children.Obstet Gynecol. 1982; 59: 69
- Vulvar tumor in children due to prolapse of urethral mucosa.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1970; 108: 572
- Urethral prolapse in young girls.Pediatrics. 1973; 52: 645
- Prolapse of the urethra in young Zulu girls.S Afr Med J. 1975; 49: 2011
- Prolapse of the urethral mucosa.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1962; 84: 862
- Appleton, New York1914: 578 Disease of Kidney, Ureters, and Bladder.
- The pattern of rape in Benin City, Nigeria.Trop Geogr Med. 1986; 38: 215
- Tumors of the genitalia.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 1974; 1: 663
- WB Saunders, Philadelphia1968: 239 The Gynaecology of Childhood and Adolescence.
- Churchill Livingstone, New York, Edinburgh1973: 7 Companion to Surgery in Africa.
- Ovarian tumors: Clinical and pathological features.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 1976; 3: 126
- Carcinoma of the cervix in childhood.J Obstet Gynecol Brit Cwlth. 1971; 78: 1133
- Blackiston, New York1971: 244 Tropical Surgery.
© 1988 Springer-Verlag New York Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.