This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The pulsatile secretion of luteinizing hormone (LH) was studied in adolescents with oligomenorrhea associated with hyperandrogenism (HA), and in a control group with regular cycles and normal androgen concentrations. Both groups consisted of six subjects, 15–18 years of age. Blood specimens were taken at 15 minute intervals for 6 hours. The mean serum LH concentration, amplitude and number of LH pulses, and the LH/FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) ratio were significantly higher in the HA group than in the control group. Serum concentrations of androstenedione, testosterone, and estrone displayed significant positive correlations with the mean LH concentration, amplitude, and number of LH pulses, whereas serum dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate (DHEA-S) and estradiol concentrations did not show any significant correlations with the characteristics of LH secretion. Thus, adolescents with hyperandrogenism display an exaggerated LH pulsatility similar to that found in adults with the polycystic ovary syndrome, and the change in LH pattern may be an early event in the development of this syndrome.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Variation of the human menstrual cycle through reproductive life.Int J Fertil. 1970; 12: 77-126
- Menstrual patterns of adolescent girls according to chronological and gynecological ages.Acta Obstet Gynaecol Scand (suppl). 1971; 14: 19-29
- Secondary amenorrhea.Obstet Gynecol Annu. 1982; 11: 203-251
- Serum steroids and pituitary hormones in female puberty: a partly longitudinal study.Clin Endocrinol. 1980; 12: 107-120
- Endocrinologie features of oligomenorrheic adolescent girls.Fertil Steril. 1986; 46: 852-857
- Ovarian multi-follicularity, high LH and androgen plasma levels, and anovulation are frequent and strongly linked in adolescent irregular cycles.Acta Endocrinol. 1986; 111: 368-372
- Polycystic ovaries in young girls.in: Proc of the 3rd Int Symp on Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. 1976: 193-206
- The polycystic ovary syndrome.Clin Endocrinol. 1980; 12: 177-207
- Characterization of the inappropriate gonadotropin secretion in polycystic ovary syndrome.J Clin Invest. 1976; 57: 1320-1329
- Characterization of basal estrogen and androgen levels and gonadotropin release patterns in the obese adolescent female.J Pediatr. 1981; 98: 990-993
- Görög S Current state of the art in the analyses of estrogens, Advances in steroid analyses. Budapest, 1982: 3-33 (ISBN 963 05 3009)
- Obesity, serum steroid levels, and pulsatile gonadotropin secretion in polycystic ovarian disease.Eur J Obstet Gynec Reprod Biol. 1983; 15: 45-53
- Pulsatile luteinizing hormone patterns in the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle, polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD) and non-PCOD secondary amenorrhea.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1985; 61: 1126-1132
- The physiology of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) secretion in men and women.Recent Prog Horm Res. 1985; 41: 473-531
- Physiological properties of the luteinizing hormone pulse signal: impact of intensive and extended venous sampling paradigms on its characterization in healthy men and women.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1986; 62: 881-891
- Is changing hypothalamic activity important for control of ovulation?.Br Med J. 1987; 295: 7-12
- Episodic luteinizing hormone secretion in man.J Clin Invest. 1973; 52: 2617-2628
- Follicular growth in relation to serum hormonal patterns in adolescent compared to adult menstrual cycles.Fertil Steril. 1987; 47: 82-88
- Synchronization of augmented luteinizing hormone secretion with sleep during puberty.N Engl J Med. 1972; 287: 582-586
- A chrono-biologic abnormality in luteinizing hormone secretion in teenage girls with the polycystic ovary syndrome.N Engl J Med. 1983; 309: 1206-1209
- Primary polycystic ovary syndrome in a premenarcheal girl.J Reprod Med. 1985; 30: 361-365
- Enhanced disparity of gonadotropin secretion by estrone in women with polycystic ovarian disease.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1982; 54: 490-494
- Venturoli S Flamigni C Givens J Hormonal patterns of the first menstrual cycles, Adolescence in Females. Year Book Medical Publishers, Chicago1985: 215-238
© 1988 Springer-Verlag New York Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.