This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Urethral prolapse, the circumferential protrusion of urethral mucosa through the urethral meatus, often presents in the premenarchal female as a large, friable mass. Some traditional therapies have included excision or cautery. A series of 13 premenarchal females presented with urethral prolapse and were treated medically at the Chicago Lying-in Hospital. All patients had resolution of signs and symptoms within 4 weeks of initiation of therapy. No relapses or recurrences were noted. Medical therapy of urethral prolapse in the premenarchal female is a safe and successful alternative to surgery.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Disease of Kidney, Ureters, and Bladder. Vol. 2. Appleton, New York1914: 578
- Prolapse of the female urethra.Surg Gynec Obstet. 1920; 31: 18
- Prolapse of the female urethra.JAMA. 1917; 69: 1935
- Vulvar tumor in children due to prolapse of urethral mucosa.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1970; 108: 572
- Prolapse of the urethral mucosa.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1962; 84: 862
- Urethral prolapse in young girls.Pediatrics. 1973; 52: 645
- Prolapse of the female urethra in children.J Urol. 1968; 100: 171
- Urethral prolapse in girls.Arch Dis Child. 1971; 46: 107
- Conservative management of urethral prolapse in female children.Urology. 1982; 19: 505
- A rare cause of “genital” hemorrhage in a girl: Prolapsed urethral mucosa treated with estrogens.Ann Pediatr. 1969; 16: 457
- Conservative management of urethral prolapse.Urology. 1982; 20: 351
- Circular prolapse of the urethra in children: A cause of vaginal bleeding.Obstet Gynecol. 1968; 31: 363
- Medical treatment of urethral prolapse in children.Obstet Gynecol. 1982; 59: 69
- Urethral prolapse in children: Insights into etiology and management.J Urol. 1986; 135: 100
- Prolapse of female urethra with gangrene.Am J Surg. 1937; 35: 563
- Prolapse of the urethra in young girls.J Urol. 1954; 72: 222
- Urethral prolapse in female children.Am J Dis Child. 1969; 118: 691
- Prolapse of the urethral mucosa in children: Report from the Cotonon teaching hospital group.J Urol. 1983; 89: 351
- Urethral prolapse in the premenarchal female.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1987; 25: 69
*This paper was presented in part at the Second Annual Meeting of the North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology held in Cleveland, OH Sept. 1987
© 1988 Springer-Verlag New York Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.