This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Human amniotic membrane was used within 24 hours of collection in the surgical management of two cases of vaginal agenesis. A well epithelialized, functional vagina was created in both young women without the morbidity and additional operative time associated with split-thickness skin grafting. Human amnion appears to offer a safe, effective alternative to a split-thickness skin graft in neovaginal surgery.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The formation of an artificial vagina without operation.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1938; 35: 1053
- An operation for the cure of congenital absence of the vagina.J Obstet Gynaecol Br Emp. 1965; 72: 336
- Use of fetal membranes in skin grafting.Med Ree NY. 1913; 83: 478
- The grafting of preserved amniotic membrane to burned and ulcerated surfaces substituting skin graft.JAMA. 1913; 60: 973
- Creation d'un vagin artficiel a l’aide des membranes ovulaires d’un oeuf a terme.Gynecol Obstet. 1934; 29: 385
- Vaginal epithelialization with human amnion.Obstet Gynecol. 1979; 54: 345
- The feasibility of making an artificial vagina at the time of anterior exenteration.J Oncol. 1973; 28: 398
- Amnion graft for the treatment of congenital absence of the vagina.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1984; 91: 279
- Vaginoplasty using amnion.Obstet Gynecol. 1986; 07: 443
- Human amnion in the treatment of vaginal malformations.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1986; 93: 50
- The formation of an artificial vagina by intestinal transplantation.Ann Surg. 1904; : 398
- A simple method of constructing a vagina.Ann Surg. 1938; 107: 842
- Congenital absence of the vagina-simple operation for its relief.J Obstet Gynaecol Br. 1964; 71: 511
- Human amnion: The establishment of an amnion bank and its practical applications in surgery.J Phillippine Med Assoc. 1966; 42: 357
- Replacement of the peritoneum with amnion following pelvic exenteration.S Gynecol Obstet. 1977; 145: 699
- Wound healing and amniotic membrane.J Med. 1975; 6: 383
- Immunogenicity of human amniotic epithelial cells after transplantation into volunteers.Lancet. 1981; 2: 1003
- The effect of human amniotic membranes on the bacterial population of infected rat burns.Ann Surg. 1973; 136: 904
- Monitoring banking and clinical use of amnion as a burn wound dressing.Ann Plast Surg. 1981; 7: 354
- Human amnion for tissue culture.Can J Microbiol. 1964; 10: 169
- Use of fresh amnion as a dressing.J Ped Surg. 1977; 12: 391
- Encouraging news on temporary coverings for burn wounds.JAMA. 1980; 244: 2493
- Preparation of human amniotic membranes for surgical use with antibiotic solutions.Surgery. 1984; 95: 580
- Use of dry human and bovine amnion as a biological dressing.Arch Surg. 1981; 116: 891
© 1988 Springer-Verlag New York Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.