The resection of a vaginal septum using the Harmonic Scalpel in a patient on anticoagulation is described.
A 21-year-old female with bicollis didelphys uterus and a 4-cm vaginal septum underwent resection of the vaginal septum using the ultrasonic scalpel. Hemostasis was noted both during and after the procedure. The patient was given thombophylaxis for 2 weeks perioperatively secondary to her medical history of anti-thrombin III deficiency and deep venous thrombosis.
Summary and Conclusion
The use of the Harmonic Scalpel appears to be a safe and effective method for resection of vaginal septa. Patient healing time may vary and may take longer than with traditional techniques.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Structural abnormalities of the female reproductive tract.in: Emans S.J. Laufer M.R. Goldstein D.P. Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. 5th ed. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia2005: 334-338
- Longitudinal vaginal septum: a retrospective study of 202 cases.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1997; 74: 197
- Atlas of Gynecologic Surgery.Saunders, Philadelphia1992 (pp 33-34)
- Laparoscopic myomectomy technique. Use of colpotomy and the harmonic scalpel.J Reprod Med. 2002; 47: 10
- Total laparoscopic radical hysterectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy using harmonic shears.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2006; 13: 1
- Harmonic scalpel hemorrhoidectomy: five hundred consecutive cases.Dis Colon Rectum. 2002; 45: 3
- Successful treatment of nasal septum hemangioma with the Harmonic Scalpel: a case report.Auris Nasus Larynx. 2006; 33: 4
- Complications after ultrasonic lung parenchyma biopsy: a strong note for caution.Surg Endosc. 2008; 22: 3
© 2009 North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.