To determine the relationship between severity of nausea and vomiting during pregnancy (NVP) and depressive symptoms in pregnant adolescents.
Prospective cross-sectional study.
A maternity research hospital outpatient clinic, Ankara, Turkey.
A total of 200 pregnant adolescents.
Interventions and Main Outcome Measures
Demographic features and obstetric histories of the participants were assessed. The Rhodes test was performed to determine nausea and vomiting severity in a face-to-face interview, and the self-reported Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale was administered with supervision.
The Rhodes test results showed that 52/200 patients (26%) were classified with none, 83/200 patients (41.5%) with mild, 48/200 patients (24.0%) with moderate, and 17/200 patients (8.5%) with severe symptoms. The mean depression score in the severe vomiting group was significantly higher than that in the no NVP and mild NVP groups (P = .028 and .041, respectively). No differences were found between the other groups.
Severe nausea and vomiting was associated with greater depressive symptom severity in pregnant adolescents.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prevalence of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy in the USA: a meta-analysis.J Popul Ther Clin Pharmacol. 2013; 20: 163-170
- Epidemiology of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy: prevalence, severity, determinants, and the importance of race/ethnicity.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2009; 9: 26
- Nausea and vomiting in late pregnancy.Health Care Women Int. 2005; 26: 372-386
- Optimal management of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy.Int J Womens Health. 2010; 2: 241-248
- Hyperemesis gravidarum, a literature review.Hum Reprod Update. 2005; 11: 527-539
- Hospitalizations during pregnancy among managed care enrollees.Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 100: 94-100
- Hyperemesis gravidarum: current perspectives.Int J Womens Health. 2014; 6: 719-725
- Anxiety and depression in hyperemesis gravidarum: prevalence, risk factors and correlation with clinical severity.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2010; 149: 153-158
- Prenatal depression effects on the fetus and newborn: a review.Infant Behav Dev. 2006; 29: 445-455
- Risk factors for antenatal depression, postnatal depression and parenting stress.BMC Psychiatry. 2008; 16: 8-24
- Depression and anxiety in early pregnancy and risk for preeclampsia.Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 95: 487-490
- Preventing early pregnancy and poor reproductive outcomes among adolescents in developing countries: what the evidence says.WHO, Geneva2012
- Is antenatal depression associated with adverse obstetric and perinatal outcomes?.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2015; 9: 1-5
- The combined effects of maternal depression and excess weight on neonatal outcomes.Int J Obes (Lond). 2015; 39: 1033-1040
- Psychological health in early pregnancy: relationship with nausea and vomiting.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004; 24: 28-32
- Nausea and vomiting in early pregnancy: relationship with anxiety and depression.J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol. 2008; 29: 91-95
- Teenage pregnancy: risk factors for adverse perinatal outcome.J Matern Fetal Med. 2001; 10: 393-397
- Effects of maternal age on pregnancy: a retrospective cohort study.Zhounghua Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2014; 94: 1984-1988
- Development of reliable and valid measures of nausea and vomiting.Cancer Nurs. 1984; 7: 33-41
- A novel method for the evaluation of the severity of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2001; 94: 31-36
- Rhodes index of nausea and vomiting - Form 2 in pregnant women. A confirmatory factor analysis.Nurse Res. 2001; 50: 251-257
- Detection of postnatal depression. Development of the 10-item Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale.Br J Psychiatry. 1987; 150: 782-784
- Screening for depression during pregnancy with the Edinburgh depression scale (EPDS).J Reprod Infant Psychol. 1990; 8: 99-107
- Validation of the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale as a screening tool for depression in late pregnancy among Nigerian women.J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol. 2006; 27: 267-272
- Validity and reliability of Turkish form of Edinburgh Postpartum Depression Scale.Bahar Sempozyumları Kitabı. 1996; 1: 51-52
- A prospective study of nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.Br J Gen Pract. 1993; 43: 245-248
- Depressive symptomatology in pregnancy.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2004; 39: 975-979
- Nausea and vomiting of pregnancy.Am Fam. 2003; 68: 121-128
- A prospective cohort study investigating associations between hyperemesis gravidarum and cognitive, behavioural and emotional well-being in pregnancy.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e27678
- Nausea and vomiting of pregnancy.Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2011; 40: 309-334
- Chicken or the egg? The biological-psychological controversy surrounding hyperemesis gravidarum.Soc Sci Med. 2002; 55: 1267-1278
- Psychological factors and hyperemesis gravidarum.J Womens Health Gend Based Med. 2001; 10: 471-477
- Evidence against a link between hyperemesis gravidarum and personality characteristics from an ethnically diverse sample of pregnant women: a pilot study.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2011; 20: 137-144
- Anxiety, depression and saliva cortisol in women with a medical disorder during pregnancy.Arch Womens Ment Health. 2010; 13: 339-345
- The psychosocial burden of hyperemesis gravidarum.J Perinatol. 2008; 28: 176-181
- Psychiatric consultation of patients with hyperemesis gravidarum.Arch Womens Ment Health. 2009; 12: 61-67
- Assessment of anxiety and depression levels of pregnant women with hyperemesis gravidarum in a case-control study.J Turkish-German Gynecol Assoc. 2012; 13: 32-36
- Prenatal depression restricts fetal growth.Early Hum Dev. 2009; 85: 65-70
- The effects of postpartum depression on child development: a meta-analysis.Arch Psychiatr Nurs. 1998; 12: 12-20
- Predictors of postpartum depression: an update.Nurse Res. 2001; 50: 275-285
Published online: July 02, 2015
The authors indicate no conflicts of interest.
© 2016 North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.