Supernumerary ovary (ie, ovarian ectopia having no anatomic connection with the normally placed ovaries) is a rare gynecologic condition. To the best of our knowledge, only 1 pediatric case of supernumerary ovary has been reported to date in the English literature.
A 4-year-old girl was assessed for foul-smelling vestibular discharge and was found to have a fistulous tract with opening near the vaginal orifice. Fistuloscopy revealed hair in the lumen of the tract. Computed tomography scan showed a retroperitoneal mass in continuation of the tract. Excision of the mass revealed a mature teratoma in a retroperitoneal supernumerary ovary.
Summary and Conclusion
Supernumerary ovary, a gynecologic rarity, is even more uncommon in children. Hence, a thorough clinical-radiological-pathological correlation is mandatory to diagnose extragonadal ovarian tumors arising in supernumerary ovaries.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Two cases of supernumerary ovary and one accessory ovary, with an analysis of previously reported cases.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1959; 78: 1101
- The ectopic ovary: a case report and review of the literature.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1991; 115: 233
- Supernumerary ovary: report of a case.Obstet Gynecol. 1963; 21: 253
- Dermoid cyst in supernumerary ovary of the greater omentum: report of a case.Obstet Gynecol. 1967; 29: 405
- Supernumerary ovary associated with Wilms' tumor.Pediatr Surg Int. 1998; 13: 67
- The embryology of supernumerary ovaries.Obstet Gynecol. 1973; 41: 246
- Adenocarcinoma of the supernumerary ovary.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1991; 34: 75
- Retroperitoneal mucinous adenocarcinoma occurring during pregnancy in a supernumerary ovary.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2005; 25: 515
- Diagnosis of a supernumerary ovary with human chorionic gonadotrophin.Obstet Gynecol. 1976; 47: 236
Published online: August 01, 2015
The authors indicate no conflicts of interest.
© 2016 North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.