To evaluate the effect of fibroblast growth factor (FGF) on epithelialization of neovagina in patients with Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser syndrome who underwent vaginoplasty.
Seven patients with Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser syndrome.
Cytological examination was done on vaginal smear samples from the site of completed epithelialization, and tissue was collected from the epithelialized part for histological evaluation. Immunostaining for estrogen receptor α, and keratin 13 and 14, and reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) analysis of the FGF receptor (FGFR) 1-4 were performed in samples from case 2 three times (ie, during the surgery, during the period of vaginal creation, and at 3 months and 6 months after the surgery).
Main Outcome Measures
The primary outcome was the FGF effects on the epithelialization speed and FGFR expression in the neovagina. The second was the role of FGF in the mechanism of vaginal epithelial cell proliferation.
The histological structure of the neovagina was consistent with that of normal vagina. RT-PCR analysis revealed that FGFR was expressed in the control vaginas and neovaginas. Among the FGFR subtypes, FGFR-4 was overexpressed during the process of epithelialization and its level decreased after completion of creation of the new vagina.
The epithelium of the neovagina was morphologically similar to that of normal vagina. It is suggested that FGF plays the role as a growth factor.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome: complications, diagnosis and possible treatment options: a review.Gynecol Endocrinol. 2014; 30: 618
- A case of vaginoplasty without grafting.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2012; 25: e17
- Laparoscopic creation of a neovagina in patients with Rokitansky syndrome: analysis of 52 cases.Fertil Steril. 2000; 74: 384
- Prevention of postsurgical adhesions by INTERCEED(TC7), an absorbable adhesion barrier: a prospective randomized multicenter clinical study.Fertil Steril. 1989; 51: 933
- Use of Interceed(TC7) absorbable adhesion barrier to reduce postoperative adhesion reformation in infertility and endometriosis surgery. The Obstetrics and Gynecology Adhesion Prevention Committee.Obstet Gynecol. 1992; 79: 518
- Vaginoplasty with oxidized cellulose: anatomical, functional and histological evaluation.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2012; 163: 204
- Creation of a neovagina according to Wharton-Sheares-George in patients with Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser syndrome.Fertil Steril. 2005; 83: 437
- Use of Interceed Absorbable Adhesion Barrier for vaginoplasty.Obstet Gynecol. 1994; 84: 1048
- Two case reports of less invasive surgery using Interceed (oxidized regenerated cellulose) Absorbable Adhesion Barrier for vaginoplasty in Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser Syndrome.Int Surg. 2009; 94: 48
- The role of fibroblast growth factors on the differentiation of vaginal epithelium of neonatal mice.Differentiation. 2011; 82: 28
- Effects of diethylstilbestrol on programmed oocyte death and induction of polyovular follicles in neonatal mouse ovaries.Biol Reprod. 2009; 81: 1002
- Laparoscopic vaginoplasty: using a sliding peritoneal flap for correction of complete vaginal agenesis.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2001; 98: 244
- Selective over-expression of fibroblast growth factor receptors 1 and 4 in clinical prostate cancer.J Pathol. 2007; 213: 82
- Neovagina creation in vaginal agenesis: development of a new laparoscopic Vecchietti-based procedure and optimized instruments in a prospective comparative interventional study in 101 patients.Fertil Steril. 1940; 2008: 90
- Creation of a neovagina after Creatsas modification of Williams vaginoplasty for the treatment of 200 patients with Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome.Fertil Steril. 1848; 2010: 94
- Functional and anatomic results of amnion vaginoplasty in young women with Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser syndrome.Fertil Steril. 2010; 94: 317
- Vaginal reconstruction using no grafts with evidence of squamous epithelialization in neovaginal vault: a simple approach.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2011; 37: 195
- ACOG committee opinion. Nonsurgical diagnosis and management of vaginal agenesis. Number 274, July 2002. Committee on Adolescent Health Care. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2002; 79: 167
- Management of congenital absence of the vagina.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1981; 139: 281
Attaran M, Gidwani G, Ross J. Surgical techniques for management of anomalies of the Müllerian ducts and external genitalis. In: Reproductive Surgery. pp 759–775
- Non-grafting method of vaginal construction for patients of vaginal agenesis without functioning uterus (Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser syndrome).Int Surg. 1996; 81: 385
- Vaginoplasty with Interceed absorbable adhesion barrier for complete squamous epithelialization in vaginal agenesis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 188: 1260
- Newly developed technique for dual localization of keratins 13 and 14 by fluorescence immunohistochemistry.Acta Histochem. 2008; 110: 324
- The catalog of human cytokeratins: patterns of expression in normal epithelia, tumors and cultured cells.Cell. 1982; 31: 11
- Immunohistochemical study on keratin expression of uterine reserve cells.Rinsho Byori. 1994; 42: 70
- Differential expression of the fibroblast growth factor receptor (FGFR) multigene family in normal human adult tissues.J Histochem Cytochem. 1997; 45: 1005
- Expression of fibroblast growth factor receptors 1-4 in human chronic tympanic membrane perforation.ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 2010; 71: 67
- Immunolocalization of fibroblast growth factor receptors in normal and wounded human skin.Arch Dermatol Res. 2002; 294: 331
- Randomised placebo-controlled trial of use of topical recombinant bovine basic fibroblast growth factor for second-degree burns.Lancet. 1998; 352: 1661
- Tissue-engineered autologous vaginal organs in patients: a pilot cohort study.Lancet. 2014; 384: 329
- The Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI): a multidimensional self-report instrument for the assessment of female sexual function.J Sex Marital Ther. 2000; 26: 191
Published online: December 11, 2015
The authors indicate no conflicts of interest.
© 2015 North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Published by Elsevier Inc.