Congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) is associated with a genital deformation that might cause a negative body image. The genital ambiguity is generally “corrected” surgically during early infancy. The advantage is a psychological benefit. The disadvantages are multiple surgical procedures and the loss of orgasm.
A 22-year-old woman with CAH consulted for genital reconstructive surgery. She had a pseudopenis of 4 cm and could achieve an orgasm by masturbating. During surgery, the penis was dismantled and with the preserved glans penis and the corpora cavernosa, a clitoris and vestibules were constructed, respectively. On the basis of the anamneses during the follow-up, she had a functional vagina and could still achieve orgasms.
Summary and Conclusion
Genital correction surgery for CAH at an older age was easier, could be done in 1 step, and enabled the preservation of orgasm.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Management of adolescents with congenital adrenal hyperplasia.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2013; 1: 341
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency.Endocr Rev. 2000; 21: 245
- Nerve sparing clitoroplasty is an option for adolescent and adult female patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia and clitoral pain following prior clitoral recession or incomplete reduction.J Urol. 2016; 195: 1270
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia: current surgical management at academic medical centers in the United States.J Urol. 2015; 193: 1796
- Refinements and steps in clitoroplasty: our experience.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2013; 66: e175
- Corporeal sparing dismembered clitoroplasty: an alternative technique for feminizing genitoplasty.J Urol. 2007; 178: 1796
- Vaginal reconstruction with labia minora after an anterior exenteration: a novel and simple technique.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2013; 170: 578
- The role of surgery in invasive squamous carcinoma of the vagina.Gynecol Oncol. 2001; 81: 360
Published online: December 12, 2016
The author indicates no conflicts of interest.
© 2016 North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Published by Elsevier Inc.