To investigate the potential of serum anti-Müllerian hormone (AMH) and inhibin B (INHB) levels as markers for pubertal progression rate in girls with central precocious puberty (CPP).
Design, Setting, Participants, Interventions, and Main Outcome Measures
A total of 148 girls were enrolled, including 65 girls with premature thelarche and 83 girls with CPP, grouped on the basis of the results of gonadotropin-releasing hormone stimulation tests. Girls with CPP underwent a 6-month follow-up, and were further divided into 2 subgroups: the progressive CPP (P-CPP) group (n = 55) and the slowly P-CPP (SP-CPP) group (n = 28). Serum AMH and INHB levels were assessed in all enrolled girls. Using receiver operating characteristic curves, we analyzed the diagnostic performance of AMH and INHB to differentiate the 2 forms of CPP.
Our data showed that AMH and INHB offer the potential to act as markers that distinguish SP-CPP from P-CPP. Compared with the SP-CPP group, girls with P-CPP showed lower AMH levels and higher INHB levels. On the basis of the receiver operating characteristics analysis, the area under the curve was 0.92 for the combination of AMH and INHB, with 80% sensitivity and 89.3% specificity.
Our results suggest that serum AMH and INHB levels provide a promising method in differentiating SP-CPP from P-CPP.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Precocious puberty.in: Desai M.P. Menon P.S. Bhatia V. Pediatric Endocrine Disorders. 2nd ed. Orient Longman Ltd, Hyderabad, India2008: 217-241
- Diagnostic work-up of 449 consecutive girls who were referred to be evaluated for precocious puberty.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96: 1393
- Precocious puberty.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 2366
- Assessment of basal and gonadotropin-releasing hormone-stimulated gonadotropins by immunochemiluminometric and immunofluorometric assays in normal children.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 92: 1424
- The diagnostic value of first-voided urinary LH compared with GNRH-stimulated gonadotropins in differentiating slowly progressive from rapidly progressive precocious puberty in girls.Eur J Endocrinol. 2014; 170: 749
- Unsustained or slowly progressive puberty in young girls: initial presentation and long-term follow-up of 20 untreated patients.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999; 84: 415
- Anti-Müllerian hormone: a new marker for ovarian function.Reproduction. 2006; 131: 1
- Anti-Müllerian hormone: ovarian reserve testing and its potential clinical implications.Hum Reprod Update. 2014; 20: 688
- Updated assays for inhibin B and AMH provide evidence for regular episodic secretion of inhibin B but not AMH in the follicular phase of the normal menstrual cycle.Hum Reprod. 2014; 29: 592
- Individual serum levels of anti-Müllerian hormone in healthy girls persist through childhood and adolescence: a longitudinal cohort study.Hum Reprod. 2012; 27: 861
- Peripubertal changes in circulating anti-Müllerian hormone levels in girls.Fertil Steril. 2013; 99: 2071
- Serum inhibin A and inhibin B in healthy prepubertal, pubertal, and adolescent girls and adult women: relation to age, stage of puberty, menstrual cycle, follicle-stimulating hormone, luteinizing hormone, and estradiol levels.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 1634
- Effects of birth weight on anti-Müllerian hormone serum concentrations in infant girls.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95: 903
- Peripheral precocious puberty: a retrospective study for six years in Hangzhou, China.J Paediatr Child Health. 2008; 44: 415
- A pediatrician’s guide to central precocious puberty.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2014; 54: 414
- Concentrations of AMH and inhibin-B in relation to follicular diameter in normal human small antral follicles.Hum Reprod. 2010; 25: 1282
- Regulation of ovarian function: the role of anti-Müllerian hormone.Reproduction. 2002; 124: 601
- Serum levels of anti-Müllerian hormone as a marker of ovarian function in 926 healthy females from birth to adulthood and in 172 Turner syndrome patients.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95: 5003
- Serum levels of anti-Müllerian hormone in early maturing girls before, during, and after suppression with GnRH agonist.Fertil Steril. 2012; 98: 1326
- Data-driven assessment of the human ovarian reserve.Mol Hum Reprod. 2012; 18: 79
- Anti-Müllerian hormone expression pattern in the human ovary: potential implications for initial and cyclic follicle recruitment.J Oral Pathol. 2004; 10: 77
- Which follicles make the most anti-Müllerian hormone in humans? Evidence for an abrupt decline in AMH production at the time of follicle selection.Mol Hum Reprod. 2013; 19: 519
- AMH levels at central precocious puberty and premature thelarche: is it a parameter?.J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2015; 28: 1351
- Regulation and function of inhibins in the normal menstrual cycle.Semin Reprod Med. 2004; 22: 187
- Different roles of prepubertal and postpubertal germ cells and Sertoli cells in the regulation of serum inhibin B levels.Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998; 83: 4451
- Expression of inhibin/activin subunits and follistatin messenger ribonucleic acids and proteins in ovarian follicles and the corpus luteum during the human menstrual cycle.Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1993; 77: 1402
- Baseline inhibin B levels for diagnosis of central precocious puberty in girls.Horm Res Paediatr. 2013; 80: 207
- Serum inhibin A and inhibin B in central precocious puberty before and during treatment with GnRH agonists.Horm Res. 2000; 54: 84
- Decreased inhibin B secretion is associated with the monotropic FSH rise in older, ovulatory women: a study of serum and follicular fluid levels of dimeric inhibin A and B in spontaneous menstrual cycles.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996; 81: 2742
Published online: February 01, 2017
The authors indicate no conflicts of interest.
© 2017 North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Published by Elsevier Inc.