This study identified the prevalence of menarche and coincident sexual characteristics in female adolescents with Hutchinson-Gilford Progeria Syndrome (HGPS).
Data were examined to determine the prevalence of menarche in female adolescents older than 12 years; all were participants in clinical trials between 2007 and 2016.
Pediatric hospital in Boston, Massachusetts.
Fifteen female adolescents, median age 15 (range, 12.0-20.3) years with a confirmed diagnosis of HGPS.
Interventions and Main Outcome Measures
Report of menarche, anthropometric and serum hormonal measures, Tanner pubertal staging, and body composition using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry.
Nine of 15 (60%) participants reported spontaneous menarche at a median age of 14.4 years (range, 12.0-16.5 years). In those experiencing menarche vs not, median age was older (16.5 vs 13.6 years; P = .02), whereas body mass index did not differ (10.5 vs 10.4; P = .53) nor percentage body fat (19.4% vs. 19.3%; P = .98) or serum leptin levels (0.40 vs 0.40 ng/mL; P = .23). Among those who achieved menarche, 2 of 9 (22%) had Tanner II breast development and 2 of 9 (22%) exhibited Tanner II Pubic hair, all reflecting minimal pubertal development. Only early signs of puberty were similarly seen in the non-menstruating group, including 1 of 6 (17%) with Tanner II breasts and 2 of 6 (33%) with Tanner II pubic hair, and Tanner staging did not differ between those who reported menarche vs those who did not (each P = 1.0). None of the participants achieved Tanner IV or V thelarche over the course of the study.
Menarche was achieved in more than half of adolescent girls with HGPS, in the setting of little to no physical signs of pubertal development and minimal body fat.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- PRF By The Numbers!.(Available:)http://www.progeriaresearch.org/prf-by-the-numbers.htmlDate accessed: November 12, 2017
- Impact of farnesylation inhibitors on survival in Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome.Circulation. 2014; 130: 27
- Disease progression in Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome: impact on growth and development.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: 824
- Clinical trial of a farnesyltransferase inhibitor in children with Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012; 109: 16666
- Phenotype and course of Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 592
- Lamin A truncation in Hutchinson-Gilford progeria.Science. 2003; 300: 2055
- Recurrent de novo point mutations in lamin A cause Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome.Nature. 2003; 423: 293
- Nuclear lamins: laminopathies and their role in premature ageing.Physiol Rev. 2006; 86: 967
- Accumulation of mutant lamin A causes progressive changes in nuclear architecture in Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004; 101: 8963
- The processing pathway of prelamin A.J Cell Sci. 1994; 107: 61
- Clinical trial of the protein farnesylation inhibitors lonafarnib, pravastatin, and zoledronic acid in children with Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome.Circulation. 2016; 134: 114
- Radiographic Atlas of Skeletal Development of the Hand and Wrist.Stanford University Press, Stanford, CA1959
- Revised reference curves for bone mineral content and areal bone mineral density according to age and sex for black and non-black children: results of the bone mineral density in childhood study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96: 3160
- International variability in ages at menarche, first livebirth, and menopause. World Health Organization Collaborative Study of Neoplasia and Steroid Contraceptives.Am J Epidemiol. 1998; 148: 1195
- A prospective study of radiographic manifestations in Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome.Pediatr Radiol. 2012; 42: 1089
- Hutchinson-Gilford progeria is a skeletal dysplasia.J Bone Miner Res. 2011; 26: 1670
- Height growth and percentage of body fat in relation to early menarche in girls from Merida, Yucatan, Mexico.Ecol Food Nutr. 2015; 54: 644
- Menstrual cycles: fatness as a determinant of minimum weight for height necessary for their maintenance or onset.Science. 1974; 185: 949
- Earlier menarcheal age in Spanish girls is related with an increase in body mass index between pre-pubertal school age and adolescence.Pediatr Obes. 2015; 10: 410
- Development of adiposity, obesity and age at menarche: an 8-year follow-up study in Portuguese schoolgirls.Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2013; 25: 55
- Earlier menarche is associated with lower insulin sensitivity and increased adiposity in young adult women.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0128427
- Mechanisms of premature vascular aging in children with Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome.Hypertension. 2012; 59: 92
- Metabolic control of puberty: roles of leptin and kisspeptins.Horm Behav. 2013; 64: 187
- Pubertal correlates in black and white girls.J Pediatr. 2006; 148: 234
- Skeletal complications of eating disorders.Metabolism. 2015; 64: 943
- Anorexia nervosa: aetiology, assessment, and treatment.Lancet Psychiatry. 2015; 2: 1099
- Percentage body fat by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry is associated with menstrual recovery in adolescents with anorexia nervosa.J Adolesc Health. 2014; 54: 739
- The importance of body weight history in the occurrence and recovery of osteoporosis in patients with anorexia nervosa: evaluation by dual X-ray absorptiometry and bone metabolic markers.Eur J Endocrinol. 1998; 139: 276
- Weight and circadian luteinizing hormone secretory pattern in anorexia nervosa.Psychosom Med. 1978; 40: 549
- Hypothalamic-pituitary function in anorexia nervosa.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1975; 32: 739
- The aetiology and impact of malnutrition in paediatric inflammatory bowel disease.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2011; 24: 313
- Two cases presenting with pubertal delay and diagnosed as Celiac disease.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2008; 47: 607
- Update on primary ovarian insufficiency in adolescents.Curr Opin Pediatr. 2015; 27: 511
- National estimates of the timing of sexual maturation and racial differences among US children.Pediatrics. 2002; 110: 911
- Physiological principles of endocrine replacement: estrogen.Horm Res. 2001; 56: 82
Published online: December 16, 2017
The authors indicate no conflicts of interest.
© 2017 North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Published by Elsevier Inc.