To explore the prevalence, mortality, and spatial distribution of gastroschisis using a large population-based sample with cases identified according to birth and death certificates (ICD-10 diagnosis code Q79.3, gastroschisis) through the General Directorate of Health Information of the Secretary Health of Mexico, over the course of a 15-year period.
Design, Setting, Participants, Interventions, and Main Outcome Measures
A descriptive study examining 10,287 cases of gastroschisis was performed from 2000-2014 using public natality data for denominators (more than 25 million live births). Gastroschisis prevalence and mortality was calculated for each of year, state, maternal, and newborn characteristics. Spatial distribution was analyzed according to gastroschisis prevalence in the 32 states of Mexico.
Gastroschisis prevalence was 4.01 per 10,000 live births (annual trend 2.09-6.85). Mortality associated with gastroschisis was 1.28 per 10,000 live births. Women younger than 20 years old, primiparae, and preterm infants had the highest gastroschisis-related prevalence (13.12, 5.83, and 7.51 per 10,000 live births, respectively). Gastroschisis prevalence and mortality did not differ according to newborn sex. A negative binomial distribution, variance (82,391.87) greater than the mean (321.47) was identified.
Our findings show an increasing temporal trend for gastroschisis since 2000 in Mexico. Additionally, gastroschisis might follow in future instances a positive binomial or Poisson distribution. Therefore, improving surveillance of risk factors and supporting research for gastroschisis is warranted among maternal age younger than 25, particularly, younger than 20 years of age.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Gastroschisis in the United States 1988-2003: analysis and risk categorization of 4344 patients.J Perinatol. 2007; 27: 50
- Factors associated with mortality in neonates with gastroschisis.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2011; 21: 21
- Rising birth prevalence of gastroschisis.J Perinatol. 2003; 23: 291
- Increasing prevalence of gastroschisis in Utah.J Pediatr Surg. 2005; 40: 535
- The joint effects of maternal prepregnancy body mass index and age on the risk of gastroschisis.Paediatr Perinatal Epidemiol. 2009; 23: 51
- Maternal nativity as a risk factor for gastroschisis: a population-based study.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2009; 85: 890
- Gastroschisis prevalence in Texas 1999-2003.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2010; 88: 178
- Prevalence and correlates of gastroschisis in 15 states, 1995 to 2005.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 275
- Increasing prevalence of gastroschisis–14 states, 1995-2012.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 23
- Hispanic ethnicity and acculturation, maternal age and the risk of gastroschisis in the national birth defects prevention study.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2013; 97: 538
- Evidence of localized clustering of gastroschisis births in North Carolina, 1999-2004.Soc Sci Med. 2009; 68: 1361
- Spatial analysis of gastroschisis in Massachusetts and Texas.Ann Epidemiol. 2015; 25: 7
- Geospatial clustering of gastroschisis in Poland: data from the Polish Registry of Congenital Malformations (PRCM).Int J Occup Med Environ Health. 2016; 29: 461
- Spatial variability of gastroschisis in Canada, 2006-2011: an exploratory analysis.Can J Public Health. 2016; 107: e62
- Prevalence of gastroschisis at birth: retrospective study.BMJ. 2002; 325: 1389
- Epidemiology of gastroschisis in metropolitan Atlanta, 1968 through 2000.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2005; 73: 177
- Increasing prevalence of gastroschisis in Europe 1980-2002: a phenomenon restricted to younger mothers?.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2007; 21: 363
- Gastroschisis: international epidemiology and public health perspectives.Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet. 2008; 148C: 162
- International Clearinghouse for Birth Defects Monitoring Systems, Annual Report 2014.International Centre of Birth Defects, Rome2014
- Aumento de la incidencia de gastrosquisis en un hospital de alta especialidad al norte de México, [Increase in the incidence of gastroschisis in a third level hospital in the northern part of Mexico].Medicina Universitaria. 2010; 12 ([In Spanish]): 159
- Malformaciones congénitas como causa de hospitalización en una unidad de terapia intensiva neonatal, [Congenital malformations as a cause of hospitalization in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit].Perinatol Reprod Hum. 2012; 26 ([In Spanish]): 112
- Prevalence and risk factors for gastroschisis in a public hospital from west México.Congenit Anom (Kyoto). 2015; 55: 73
- Dirección General de Información en Salud.(Available)Accessed February 24, 2017)
- Available)Accessed February 24, 2017) (
- Risk factors for adverse outcome of newborns with gastroschisis in a Brazilian hospital.J Pediatr Surg. 2001; 36: 559
- Infant, maternal, and geographic factors influencing gastroschisis related mortality in Zimbabwe.Surgery. 2015; 158: 1475
- Recreational drug use: a major risk factor for gastroschisis?.Am J Epidemiol. 2008; 167: 485
- The role of maternal stress in early pregnancy in the aetiology of gastroschisis: an incident case control study.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e80103
- Encuesta Nacional de Adicciones 2011, Reporte de Drogas, [National Survey of Addictions 2011, Drug Report]. México City, Instituto Nacional de Psiquiatría Ramón de la Fuente Muñiz/Instituto Nacional de Salud Pública/Secretaria de Salud.2012 ([In Spanish])
- Sociodemografía y genero.(Available)Accessed February 24, 2017)
- (Coneval)Consejo Nacional de Evaluación de la Política de Desarrollo Social: Informe de Pobreza en México 2010: el país, los estados y sus municipios, [Coneval Consejo Nacional de Evaluación de la Política de Desarrollo Social: Poverty report in Mexico 2010: the country, the states and their municipalities]. 2012 (Mexico City, [In Spanish])
- WHO Global Urban Ambient Air Pollution Database (update 2016).(Available)Accessed February 24, 2017)
- Evaluation of familial factors in a Mexican population-based setting with gastroschisis: further evidence for an underlying genetic susceptibility.J Pediatr Surg. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2017.08.021
- Severe intrauterine amputations in one dichorionic twin with pentalogy of Cantrell: further evidence and consideration for mechanical teratogenesis.Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2017; 20: 440
- Fetus with Casamassima-Morton-Nance syndrome and limb-body wall defect: presentation of a novel association and review of the phenotype.Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2016; 19: 159
Published online: January 06, 2018
The authors indicate no conflicts of interest. The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Secretary of Health of Mexico.
© 2018 North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Published by Elsevier Inc.