Postoperative complications after transverse vaginal septum excision include stricture formation. The purpose of this report is to describe use of intralesional corticosteroid injections for vaginal strictures.
A 32-year-old gravida 0 with history of transverse vaginal septum and recurrent strictures presented for follow-up of chronic pelvic pain. After her fourth septum revision, the patient underwent a total of 7 triamcinolone injections at the septum tissue. The course of triamcinolone injections improved the stricture and patient's pain.
Summary and Conclusion
Steroid injection into the vaginal septum tissue can be a safe and effective adjuvant therapy after septum resection. Although it is an established adjuvant therapy in other specialties, further studies are warranted to show a decrease in the recurrence rate of vaginal strictures.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of endoscopic steroid injection therapy for recalcitrant esophageal peptic strictures.Am J Gastroenterol. 2005; 100: 2419
- Efficacy and safety of local steroids for urethra strictures: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Endourol. 2014; 28: 962
- An open, randomized, controlled, comparative study of the combined effect of intralesional triamcinolone acetonide and onion extract gel and intralesional triamcinolone acetonide alone in the treatment of hypertrophic scars and keloids.Dermatol Surg. 2008; 34: 1507
- Surgical management of the constricted or obliterated vagina.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 128: 284
- Presenting and long-term clinical implications and fecundity in females with obstructing vaginal malformations.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2003; 16: 307
- Vaginal dilator therapy for women receiving pelvic radiotherapy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 9: CD007291
- Intralesional steroid injection after endoscopic balloon dilation in pediatric Crohn's disease with stricture: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, controlled trial.Gastrointest Endosc. 2010; 72: 1201
- International clinical recommendations on scar management.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002; 110: 560
Published online: June 18, 2018
Accepted: June 8, 2018
Received in revised form: June 3, 2018
Received: April 15, 2018
The authors indicate no conflicts of interest.
© 2018 North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Published by Elsevier Inc.