To analyze the spectrum of type I and type II malformations in Chinese patients with Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser (MRKH) syndrome.
Design, Setting, Participants, Interventions, and Main Outcome Measures
This was a cross-sectional descriptive study that used data from a National Clinical Research Center for Obstetrical and Gynecological Diseases of China, reviewed from January 2009 to July 2017. Data of in- and outpatients with MRKH syndrome were reviewed and analyzed.
A total of 274 cases were included in the analysis: 197/274 (71.9%) with type I MRKH syndrome and the remaining 77/274 (28.1%) with type II MRKH syndrome. The rate of concurrent deformities was 32/244 (13.1%) for renal malformation, and 49/125 (39.2%) for skeletal malformation. Nine patients had renal and skeletal malformations (Müllerian duct aplasia, renal aplasia, and cervicothoracic somite dysplasia). Cardiac, neurologic, and other malformations (eg, anal atresia) were sporadic. The percentage of type II MRKH syndrome in our cohort was considerably higher than that reported 43/594 (7.2%) in a previous large-scale study in southern China, but lower than that 489/1259 (46.2%) reported for Caucasian individuals.
The spectrum of type I and type II MRKH syndrome varies across different races and geological locations.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome: a review.Int J Womens Health. 2015; 7: 865
- Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser (MRKH) syndrome: a historical perspective.Gene. 2015; 555: 33
- Clinical aspects of Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuester-Hauser syndrome: recommendations for clinical diagnosis and staging.Hum Reprod. 2006; 21: 792
- Phenotypic and clinical aspects of Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome in a Chinese population: an analysis of 594 patients.Fertil Steril. 2016; 106: 1190
- Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome and associated malformations: are they as common as we think?.Fertil Steril. 2016; 106: 1047
- ACOG Committee opinion no. 728: müllerian agenesis: diagnosis, management, and treatment.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 131: e35
- The VCUAM (Vagina Cervix Uterus Adnex-associated Malformation) classification: a new classification for genital malformations.Fertil Steril. 2005; 84: 1493
- Typical and atypical associated findings in a group of 346 patients with Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuester-Hauser syndrome.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2015; 28: 362
- Creation of a neovagina after Creatsas modification of Williams vaginoplasty for the treatment of 200 patients with Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome.Fertil Steril. 2010; 94: 1848
- Malformations in a cohort of 284 women with Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome (MRKH).Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2012; 10: 57
- Congenital malformations and other comorbidities in 125 women with Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2016; 207: 45
- Prevalence and patient characteristics of Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome: a nationwide registry-based study.Hum Reprod. 2016; 31: 2384
- The ESHRE/ESGE consensus on the classification of female genital tract congenital anomalies.Hum Reprod. 2013; 28: 2032
- Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome: complications, diagnosis and possible treatment options: a review.Gynecol Endocrinol. 2014; 30: 618
Published online: August 13, 2018
Accepted: July 20, 2018
Received in revised form: July 12, 2018
Received: May 12, 2018
The authors indicate no conflicts of interest.
© 2019 Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology.