Müllerian aplasia or Mayer–Rokitansky–Küster–Hauser syndrome is described as congenital absence of the proximal vagina with or without absence of the cervix and uterus, most often recognized after the onset of primary amenorrhea.
An 18-year-old woman presented to a free medical clinic in Arcahaie, Haiti with primary amenorrhea, abdominal distention, and cyclic monthly abdominal pain. Physical exam was significant for uterus palpable superior to the umbilicus, absence of vagina, and rectal exam without palpable vagina or cervix. Transabdominal and transperineal ultrasound examinations did not reveal hematocolpos. Exploratory laparotomy revealed severe endometriosis with bilateral hematosalpinx, markedly distended uterus, no proximal vagina, and normal ovaries. Uterine specimen was filled with blood and no clear cervix was present.
Summary and Conclusion
Diagnosis of vaginal and cervical agenesis is complicated in low-resource settings and treatment must be modified when subspecialty care and consistent follow-up are not available.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Committee opinion: no. 728: Müllerian agenesis: diagnosis, management, and treatment.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 131: 35
- Uterine remnants and pelvic pain in females with Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser syndrome.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2013; 26: 3
- Anatomic disorders.in: Hoffman B.L. Schorge J.O. Bradshaw K.D. Williams Gynecology. 3rd ed. McGraw-Hill, New York2016
- Management of abnormalities of the genitalia in girls.in: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA2016
- Vaginal agenesis: an analysis of ninety cases.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1978; 57: 89
- Clinical value of magnetic resonance imaging in patients with Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser (MRKH) syndrome: diagnosis of associated malformations, uterine rudiments and intrauterine endometrium.Eur Radiol. 2014; 24: 7
- Vaginal creation for Müllerian agenesis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 185: 1349
- An update on surgical and non-surgical treatments for vaginal hypoplasia.Hum Reprod Update. 2014; 20: 775
Published online: November 21, 2018
The authors indicate no conflicts of interest.
© 2018 North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Published by Elsevier Inc.