Most patients with phosphoinositide-3-kinase, catalytic, alpha polypeptide (PIK3CA)-related overgrowth spectrum become symptomatic early in life and need treatment before puberty. Recently, the specific inhibition of PIK3CA pathways has been proposed as a therapeutic option for these patients improving their surgical options and quality of life. Alpelisib, a specific alpha fraction inhibitor, has shown promising results.
A 17-year-old girl presented with severe involvement of her external genitalia with a combined vascular malformation in the context of congenital, lipomatous, overgrowth, vascular malformations, epidermal nevi and spinal/skeletal anomalies and/or scoliosis syndrome, needing frequent blood transfusions for anemia due to vaginal bleeding and use of a crutch for walking. After failure of treatment with rapamycin, compassionate treatment with alpelisib was started with excellent response.
Summary and Conclusion
PIK3CA inhibitors might become a new option of treatment for PIK3CA-related overgrowth spectrum patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Clinical delineation and natural history of the PIK3CA-related overgrowth spectrum.Am J Med Genet. 2014; 164: 1713
- Somatic mosaic activating mutations in PIK3CA cause CLOVES syndrome.Am J Hum Genet. 2012; 90: 1108
- Targeted therapy in patients with PIK3CA-related overgrowth syndrome.Nature. 2018; 558: 540
- PIK3CA-related overgrowth spectrum (PROS): diagnostic and testing eligibility criteria, differential diagnosis, and evaluation.Am J Med Genet A. 2015; 167A: 287
- Sirolimus in the treatment of vascular anomalies.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 27: 86
- Targeting PI3K signalling in cancer: opportunities, challenges and limitations.Nat Rev Cancer. 2009; 9: 550
- Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase α-selective inhibition with alpelisib (BYL719) in PIK3CA-altered solid tumors: results from the first-in-human study.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 1291
- Alpelisib plus fulvestrant in PIK3CA-altered and PIK3CA-wild-type estrogen receptor-positive advanced breast cancer: a phase 1b clinical trial.JAMA Oncol. 2018; 5: e184475
- A phase Ib study of alpelisib (BYL719), a PI3Kα-specific inhibitor, with letrozole in ER+/HER2− metastatic breast cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2017; 23: 26
Published online: July 19, 2019
The authors indicate no conflicts of interest.
© 2019 North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Published by Elsevier Inc.