To assess pubertal events in a Hispanic female population and to create normograms of puberty.
Five hundred forty-nine girls from the Growth and Obesity Chilean Cohort study.
Follow-up twice a year beginning at age 6 years.
Main Outcome Measures
Breast development, pubic hair development, and age. Breast development (B2, B3, and B4) and pubarche (P2) were determined. Age at menarche was obtained from the adolescents and their mothers. Age and growth velocity at peak height velocity were calculated.
In girls, B2, B3, and B4 occur at median ages of 9.2, 10.2, and 10.9 years, respectively. The median age at P2 was 9.7 years. The mean age at peak height velocity and the growth velocity were 10.6 years (SD = 1.1) and 8 cm/y, respectively. The mean age at menarche was 11.9 years (SD = 1.1); only 2.8% (15 /530) of girls experienced menarche after 14 years and 1.9% before 10 years. The mean interval time between B2 and menarche was 2.5 ± 1.0 years. Transient thelarche occurred in 8.6% of girls.
This longitudinal cohort shows that thelarche occurred 1.2 months later than previously reported in cross-sectional studies. Conversely, we found that pubic hair appeared 12 months earlier and menarche occurred 9 months earlier than previously reported. These findings are important in setting normalcy data and avoiding unnecessary clinical consultations.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pubertal development and regulation.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016; 4: 254
- Epigenetics: a new player in the regulation of mammalian puberty.Neuroendocrinology. 2014; 99: 139
- Variations in pattern of pubertal changes in girls.Arch Dis Child. 1969; 44: 291
- Secondary sexual characteristics and menses in young girls seen in office practice: a study from the Pediatric Research in Office Settings Network.Pediatrics. 1997; 99: 505
- Reexamination of the age limit for defining when puberty is precocious in girls in the United States: implications for evaluation and treatment. Drug and Therapeutics and Executive Committees of the Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society.Pediatrics. 1999; 104: 936
- Pubertal assessment method and baseline characteristics in a mixed longitudinal study of girls.Pediatrics. 2010; 126: e583
- Onset of breast development in a longitudinal cohort.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: 1019
- Pubertal development in Danish children: comparison of recent European and US data.Int J Androl. 2006; 29: 247
- Pubertal development in The Netherlands 1965-1997.Pediatr Res. 2001; 50: 479
- Recent decline in age at breast development: the Copenhagen Puberty Study.Pediatrics. 2009; 123: e932
- Timing of maturation and predictors of menarche in girls enrolled in a contemporary British cohort.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2009; 23: 492
- Recent secular trends in pubertal timing: implications for evaluation and diagnosis of precocious puberty.Horm Res Paediatr. 2012; 77: 137
- Racial disparities in pubertal development.Semin Reprod Med. 2013; 31: 333
- Age of menarche in a longitudinal US cohort.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2018; 31: 339
- Breves observaciones sobre la aparicion de la pubertad en la mujer chilena y las predisposiciones patologicas del sexo [Brief observations of puberty onset and its pathological predisposition in Chilean women].Universidad de Chile, Santiago de Chile1886
- Cambios en la edad de inicio de la pubertad en niñas de la comuna de Santiago: implicancias para el diagnóstico de la pubertad precoz [Changes in the age of puberty in girls in the district of Santiago: implications for the diagnosis of precocious puberty].Rev Chil Pediatr. 2002; 73: 363
- Age of pubertal events in Chilean school age girls and its relationship with socioeconomic status and body mass index [Cronología del desarrollo puberal en niñas escolares de Santiago: relación con nivel socio-económico e índice de masa corporal].Rev Med Chil. 2004; 132 ([in Spanish]): 801
- Effect of growth on cardiometabolic status at 4 y of age.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 90: 547
- Accelerated growth in early life and obesity in preschool Chilean children.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009; 17: 1603
- Social Statistics of Indigenous people in Chile- CENSO 2002.National Institute of Statistics (INE), Santiago2005
- Waist circumference percentiles in nationally representative samples of African-American, European-American, and Mexican-American children and adolescents.J Pediatr. 2004; 145: 439
- Breast bud detection: a validation study in the Chilean growth obesity cohort study.BMC Womens Health. 2014; 14: 96
- The WHO Multicentre Growth Reference Study: planning, study design, and methodology.Food Nutr Bull. 2004; 25: S15
- Obesity is positively associated with dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate concentrations at 7 y in Chilean children of normal birth weight.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 97: 318
- Evolution of the nutritional status of Chilean children from preschool to school age: anthropometric results according to the source of the data.Arch Latinoam Nutr. 2010; 60 ([in Spanish]): 155
- Forty years trends in timing of pubertal growth spurt in 157,000 Danish school children.PLoS One. 2008; 3: e2728
- Growth charts of human development.Stat Methods Med Res. 2014; 23: 346
- Stage line diagram: an age-conditional reference diagram for tracking development.Stat Med. 2009; 28: 1569
- Age of menarche and its relationship with body mass index and socioeconomic status.Rev Med Chil. 2007; 135 ([in Spanish]): 1429
- Diagnostic work-up of 449 consecutive girls who were referred to be evaluated for precocious puberty.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96: 1393
- Increasing incidence of premature thelarche in the Central Region of Denmark - challenges in differentiating girls less than 7 years of age with premature thelarche from girls with precocious puberty in real-life practice.Int J Pediatr Endocrinol. 2016; 2016: 4
- Obesity a National Problem: evaluation of the law on nutritional composition and its advertising.Ministry of Health, Santiago, Chile2017
- Genetic structure characterization of Chileans reflects historical immigration patterns.Nat Commun. 2015; 6: 6472
- Precocious pubertal events in Chilean children: ethnic disparities.J Endocrinol Invest. 2019; 42: 385
- Puberty in adolescent of rural and urban areas.Rev Cubana Ginecol Obstet. 2012; 38: 7
- Variabilidad del peso, la estatura y el índice de masa corporal según desarrollo puberal y tipo de colegio en adolescentes de Medellín, Colombia [Weight, height and body mass index variability according to both puberal development and to the type of school in adolescents of Medellín, Colombia].Rev Chil Nutr. 2012; 39 ([in Spanish]): 136
- Childhood and adolescent phenol and phthalate exposure and the age of menarche in Latina girls.Environ Health. 2018; 17: 32
- Influence of perinatal factors on the onset of puberty in boys and girls: implications for interpretation of link with risk of long term diseases.Am J Epidemiol. 1999; 150: 747
- Growth patterns and secular trends over four decades in the dynamics of height growth of Indian boys and girls in Sri Aurobindo Ashram: a cohort study.Ann Hum Biol. 2005; 32: 259
- Pubertal correlates in black and white girls.J Pediatr. 2006; 148: 234
Published online: August 21, 2019
The authors indicate no conflicts of interest.
© 2019 Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology.