To investigate the incidence, clinical features, tumor markers, radiologic findings, types of surgeries, and histologies for adnexal masses in female pediatric and adolescent patients.
Retrospective chart review.
Children's Health in Dallas and Plano, Texas from 2009 to 2018.
Female patients younger than 19 years old who underwent surgical management of an adnexal mass.
Main Outcome Measures
Imaging characteristics, tumor markers, surgical procedures, and histopathology.
In total, 752 patients (mean age, 13.7 years) underwent 756 surgical procedures for 781 adnexal masses. Of these, 732/781 (93.7%) were benign, 7/781 (0.9%) were borderline, and 42/781 (5.4%) were malignant. Of all 781 masses, 520/781 (66.6%) were ovarian and 261/781 (33.4%) were paratubal or tubal. Benign masses were associated with Hispanic race, pain, simple or cystic characteristics on imaging, and negative tumor markers. Borderline and malignant masses were associated with white race, pain, mass or distension, larger size, and heterogeneous appearance on imaging. Borderline masses were associated with negative tumor markers. Malignant masses were associated with elevated alpha fetoprotein, beta human chorionic gonadotropin, cancer antigen 125, and lactate dehydrogenase.
Most adnexal masses in the pediatric and adolescent population are benign. Benign masses were significantly smaller, more likely to have negative tumor markers, and appear simple or cystic. There is little standardization with respect to preoperative tumor markers for adnexal masses. High-yield tumor markers for malignancy include alpha fetoprotein, beta human chorionic gonadotropin, cancer antigen 125, and lactate dehydrogenase. Low-yield tumor markers include inhibin A and B. Gynecologists performed more fertility-preserving surgeries including mini-laparotomies and fewer laparotomies for benign masses than pediatric surgeons.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgery for ovarian masses in infants, children, and adolescents: 102 consecutive patients treated in a 15-year period.J Pediatr Surg. 2001; 36: 693
- Impact of introducing an evidence based multidisciplinary algorithm on the management of adnexal masses in the pediatric population.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2017; 30: 268
- A preoperative scoring system for adnexal mass in children and adolescents to preserve their future fertility.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2019; 32: 57
- Can we preoperatively risk stratify ovarian masses for malignancy?.J Pediatr Surg. 2010; 45: 130
- Ovarian surgery in premenarchal girls.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 1999; 12: 27
- Preoperative assessment of unilocular adnexal cysts by transvaginal ultrasonography: a comparison between ultrasonographic morphologic imaging and histopathologic diagnosis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 184: 48
- Diagnosis and treatment of adnexal masses in children and adolescents.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 611
- Evaluation of IOTA simple ultrasound rules to distinguish benign and malignant ovarian tumours.J Clin Diagn Res. 2017; 11: TC06
- Preoperative risk stratification of adnexal masses: can we predict the optimal surgical management?.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2014; 27: 125
- Management of large ovarian neoplasms in pediatric and adolescent females.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2016; 29: 88
- The CA 125 tumour-associated antigen: a review of the literature.Hum Reprod. 1989; 4: 1
- Fertility after oophorectomy due to torsion.Saudi Med J. 2015; 36: 368
- Treatment outcome of women with a single ovary undergoing in vitro fertilization cycles.Singapore Med J. 2010; 51: 698
- The fertility potential of women with a single ovary.Hum Reprod Update. 1999; 5: 546
- A radioimmunoassay using a monoclonal antibody to monitor the course of epithelial ovarian cancer.N Engl J Med. 1983; 309: 883
- Practice bulletin no. 174: evaluation and management of adnexal masses.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 128: e210
- Characteristics and management of adnexal masses in a Canadian pediatric and adolescent population.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2011; 33: 935
- Noninflammatory ovarian masses in girls and young women.Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 96: 229
- Solid ovarian tumours in childhood: a 35-year review in a single institution.Clin Transl Oncol. 2010; 12: 287
- A retrospective review of the effect of surgeon specialty on the management of 190 benign and malignant pediatric and adolescent adnexal masses.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2011; 24: 282
- Current trends in surgical treatment of pediatric adnexal torsion: we can do better.J Pediatr Surg. 2015; 50: 1374
- Impact of surgeon specialty on ovarian-conserving surgery in young females with an adnexal mass.J Adolesc Health. 2006; 39: 411
- Rate of oophorectomy for benign indications in a children’s hospital: influence of a gynecologist.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2017; 30: 234
- Surgical management of benign adnexal masses in the pediatric/adolescent population: an 11-year review.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2017; 30: 123
- Advantage of conservative surgical management of large ovarian neoplasms in adolescents.Fertil Steril. 2009; 91: 1941
- Outpatient minilaparotomy ovarian cystectomy for benign teratomas in teenagers.J Pediatr Surg. 1996; 31: 1383
- Germ cell tumors.Surg Clin North Am. 2006; 86: 489
- Ovum transmigration after salpingectomy for ectopic pregnancy.Hum Reprod. 2013; 28: 937
- Taking the tube: from normal fallopian tube epithelium to ovarian high-grade serous carcinoma.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 60: 697
- The fallopian tube as the origin of high grade serous ovarian cancer: review of a paradigm shift.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2014; 36: 133
- The origin and pathogenesis of epithelial ovarian cancer: a proposed unifying theory.Am J Surg Pathol. 2010; 34: 433
- Preoperative risk stratification of children with ovarian tumors.J Pediatr Surg. 2016; 51: 1507
- Predictors of ovarian malignancy in children: overcoming clinical barriers of ovarian preservation.J Pediatr Surg. 2014; 49 ([discussion: 147]): 144
Published online: January 13, 2021
The authors indicate no conflicts of interest.
Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology.