Interventions and Main Outcome Measures
Abbreviations:ED (emergency department), AUB (abnormal uterine bleeding), STI (sexually transmitted infection), CBC (complete blood count), PHIS (pediatric health information system), US (United States), IQR (interquartile range), OR (odds ratio), CI (confidence interval), PT (prothrombin time), PTT (partial thromboplastin time)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Gray SH, Emans SJ: Abnormal vaginal bleeding in adolescents. Pediatr Rev 2007; 28:175-182. doi:10.1542/pir.28-5-175
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee on Adolescent Health Care DA, Laufer MR, Breech LL: Menstruation in girls and adolescents: using the menstrual cycle as a vital sign.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: 2245-2250https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2006-2481
- Menstruation disturbances: prevalence, characteristics, and effects on the activities of daily living among adolescent girls from Brazil.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2013; 26: 148-152https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2012.12.001
- Iron deficiency without anemia: a common yet under-recognized diagnosis in young women with heavy menstrual bleeding.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2016; 29: 628-631https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2016.05.009
- Diagnosis and management of heavy menstrual bleeding and bleeding disorders in adolescents.JAMA Pediatr. 2020; 174: 186-194https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.5040
- Hemostatic abnormalities in young females with heavy menstrual bleeding.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2014; 27: 324-329https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2013.12.011
- Heavy menstrual bleeding in adolescents.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2017; 30: 335-340https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2017.01.002
- Hematologic considerations and management of adolescent girls with heavy menstrual bleeding and anemia in US children's hospitals.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2018; 31: 446-450https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2018.06.008
- Iron deficiency anemia in adolescents who present with heavy menstrual bleeding.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2017; 30: 247-250https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2016.10.010
- Trends in emergency department visits among adolescents with abnormal uterine bleeding.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2020; 33: 484-488https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2020.03.001
- Elevated von Willebrand factor levels during heavy menstrual bleeding episodes limit the diagnostic utility for von Willebrand disease.Res Pract Thromb Haemost. 2021; 5: e12513https://doi.org/10.1002/rth2.12513
- Patterns of ambulatory care use for gynecologic conditions: a national study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 184: 523-530https://doi.org/10.1067/mob.2001.111795
- Trends and characteristics of US emergency department visits, 1997-2007.JAMA. 2010; 304: 664-670https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2010.1112
- Implicit racial/ethnic bias among health care professionals and its influence on health care outcomes: a systematic review.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: e60-e76https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302903
- Racial and ethnic differences in emergency department diagnostic imaging at US children's hospitals, 2016-2019.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e2033710https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.33710
- Racial differences in sepsis recognition in the emergency department.Pediatrics. 2019; 144: e20190348https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-0348
- Racial differences in pediatric emergency department triage scores.J Emerg Med. 2016; 50: 720-727https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2015.02.056
- Racial disparities in ordering laboratory and radiology tests for pediatric patients in the emergency department.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2013; 29: 598-606https://doi.org/10.1097/PEC.0b013e31828e6489
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Health Disparities in HIV/AIDS, Viral hepatitis, STDs, and TB. Atlanta, GA. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. 2018. Accessed October 6, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/healthdisparities/africanamericans.html.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Von Willebrand disease. Atlanta, GA. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. 2018. Accessed October 6, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/hemophilia/communitycounts/data-reports/2018-9/table-3-vwd.html.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
The authors received no specific funding for this work.
This work was presented virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic at the 2021 International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis Congress on July 17-21, 2021.