The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Sexually Transmitted Infections Treatment Guidelines, 2021 contain new recommendations for the treatment of gonococcal, chlamydial, and trichomonas infections, as well as pelvic inflammatory disease. Providers are encouraged to broaden their screening practices by considering incorporating rectal and pharyngeal testing when indicated, as well as opt-out testing for adolescent females. The discussion of testing and counseling for genital herpes infections has been expanded.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Sexually Transmitted Disease Surveillance 2019.US Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta2021
- Sexually Transmitted Infections Treatment Guidelines, 2021.Morb Mortal Wkly Recomm Rep. 2021; 70: 1-187
- Antibiotics for treating urogenital Chlamydia trachomatis infection in men and non-pregnant women.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 1CD010871
- Treatment effectiveness of azithromycin and doxycycline in uncomplicated rectal and vaginal Chlamydia trachomatis infections in women: a multicenter observational study (FemCure).Clin Infect Dis. 2019; 69: 1946
- Genital and extra-genital Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae infections in young women attending a sexually transmitted infections (STI) clinic.New Microbiol. 2020; 43: 115
- A randomized controlled trial of ceftriaxone and doxycycline, with or without metronidazole, for the treatment of acute pelvic inflammatory disease.Clin Infect Dis. 2021; 72: 1181
- Single-dose versus 7-day-dose metronidazole for the treatment of trichomoniasis in women: an open-label, randomised controlled trial.Lancet Infect Dis. 2018; 18: 1251
- Herpes simplex virus type 1 in Europe: systematic review, meta-analyses and meta-regressions.BMJ Glob Health. 2020; 5e002388
- Once-daily valacyclovir to reduce the risk of transmission of genital herpes.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 11
- Natural history of genital and oral herpes simplex virus-1 (HSV-1) shedding after first episode genital HSV-1 infection.Sex Transm Infect. 2019; 95: A42
- Herpes simplex virus type 2 antibody detection performance in Kisumu, Kenya, using the Herpeselect ELISA, Kalon ELISA, Western blot and inhibition testing.Sex Transm Infect. 2009; 85: 92
- A phase 3, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, vehicle-controlled study evaluating the safety and efficacy of metronidazole vaginal gel 1.3% in the treatment of bacterial vaginosis.Sex Transm Dis. 2015; 42: 376
- The efficacy and safety of a single dose of Clindesse vaginal cream versus a seven-dose regimen of Cleocin vaginal cream in patients with bacterial vaginosis.Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 13: 155
Published online: January 11, 2022
Accepted: December 31, 2021
Received: November 22, 2021
© 2022 North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.