Cloacal exstrophy (CE) is a rare congenital disease that requires multiple surgeries for complex gastrointestinal and genitourinary anomalies. Long-term complications are not uncommon; however, they are poorly reported. Pyosalpinx is sometimes encountered during CE management in adolescents and young adults.
A 28-year-old woman with a history of CE presented with fever, lower abdominal pain, and vomiting and was diagnosed with left pyosalpinx. Computed tomography-guided drainage and intravenous antibiotic administration were successful; however, she had 2 readmissions for recurrent pyosalpinx 1 week after discharge and again 4 months later. She was administered Dienogest, a synthetic progestin, to prevent recurrent pyosalpinx and had no recurrence for 8 months.
Summary and Conclusion
Dienogest is a conservative treatment choice for preventing the recurrence of pyosalpinx for patients with CE.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Spectrum of Cloacal Exstrophy.in: Seminars in Pediatric Surgery. 20. 2011: 113-118
- Long-term active problems in patients with cloacal exstrophy: a systematic review.J Pediatr Surg. 2022; 57: 339-347
- Gynecologic concerns in patients with cloacal anomaly.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2016; 25: 90-95
- Pelvic inflammatory disease.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2039-2048
- Fate of the uterus in 46XX cloacal exstrophy patients.J Pediatr Surg. 2013; 48: 2043-2046
- Tubo-ovarian abscess after colonic vaginoplasty for high cloacal anomaly in a 13-year-old girl.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2002; 12: 345-347
- Dienogest reduces endometrioma volume and endometriosis-related pain symptoms.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2021; 41: 1246-1251
- Hormonal treatments for endometriosis: the endocrine background.Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2022; 23: 333-355
Published online: February 12, 2023
Accepted: February 3, 2023
Received in revised form: February 2, 2023
Received: November 4, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.